The chances that you have, or will have, monolingual students in your class are pretty high. If you do have monolingual students, you know the value of modeling. Monolingual students benefit from:
- Modeling a process — how to do something.
- Modeling a product or performance —an exemplar that shows the end result of the completed task.
A good model is:
- Explicitly constructed—it uses intentionally, concrete examples and/or visual images.
- Free of distractions—there isn’t any extraneous information or verbiage.￼￼
- Labeled with precise academic vocabulary for each step or part.