Responsive vs. Reactive
might be one way to speak of
The research is clear--punitive consequences do not effectively change behaviors and build community responsibility or healthy cultures. So, how do we "fix problem behavior?" Let's start with being proactive and judgment free.
PBIS is a researched framework that demonstrates how we can effectively:
- start with a handful of school-wide behavior expectations that are clear and easy to remember and speak to.
- set expectations in all situations (including hallways, restrooms, buses as to not leave a child wondering what to do).
- provide individual support aimed at the root cause of the behavior.
- structure tiered support that allows teachers, staff, and students to work collaboratively.
- build a better environment for EVERYONE!
Give it a try and let us know how it goes.